122 Centennial Ave
Gloucester, MA 01930
Please join the Massachusetts Society in the unveiling of its inaugural plaque honoring Revolutionary War Soldiers and Sailors buried at the First Parish Burial Ground. This is the first in a series of unveilings of plaques to be placed at cemeteries across the state to commemorate those who fought in the American Revolution.
The unveiling will take place in Gloucester at 10:00 AM on October 10, 2020. Dignitaries will attend from the City of Gloucester, Gloucester Veterans Services, Gloucester City-Owned Cemeteries Advisory Committee, SAR and the Society’s Henry Knox Color Guard will be in attendance. The plaque will be presented to the City of Gloucester by MASSAR State President, Edgar Hoak and MASSAR Awards and Medals Chairman Joseph Gauthier. The Color Guard will fire a 3 volley salute in honor of those who fought for our freedom.
Parking for the First Parish Burial Ground is in the Oval Playground off Morton Place Gloucester MA 01930 (see directions below).
Program of Events
- 10:00 Invocation / Presentation of Colors / Pledge to the Flag — Henry Knox Color Guard
- 10:05 Welcome / Introduction — Edgar S Hoak, President, Massachusetts Society Sons of the American Revolution
- 10:15 Remarks of the Director of Veterans Services — Adam Curcuru, Director of Veterans Services
- 10:20 Unveiling — Joseph Gauthier Massachusetts Society Sons of the American Revolution
- 10:30 Musket salute with black powder — Henry Knox Color Guard
- 10:40 Benediction / Retire Colors — Henry Knox Color Guard
- 10:45 Refreshments at the Veterans Center
The Cemetery Committee will open the parking area at 9:00am.
- Route 128 North to Gloucester MA
- Go over the A. Piatt Andrew Bridge which brings Route 128 over the Annisquam River
- At the first rotary, take the first Right onto Washington Street.
- After 0.2 miles take a Right at George’s Coffee shop onto Centennial Ave.
- After about 500 feet go Right onto Harvard Street (easy to miss).
- Go right on Morton Pl and park on the grass in the playground.