Our state society elects a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, registrar, chancellor, and chaplain from its active membership, and appoints additional officers such as parliamentarian, surgeon, genealogist, historian and sergeant-at-arms. In addition to these officials, we nominate a national trustee and an alternate trustee who are confirmed by the Annual Congress of the National Society. These officers are joined with our chapter presidents and others within our Board of Managers, the governing body of the organization. The duties of our officers are similar to those of their counterparts in other organizations, in accordance with our bylaws.
State Officers for the Fiscal Year
The state officers of the Massachusetts Society for this year are:
|President ||John Arthur Cunningham |
|First Vice President ||Brian Michael Thomson |
|Vice President ||David Eugene Schrader |
|Vice President ||Joseph Owen Gauthier |
|State Secretary ||Robert Norman Bossart |
|Assistant Secretary ||Joseph Owen Gauthier |
|Recording Secretary ||Robert Steven Green |
|Treasurer ||Edgar Stickley Hoak IV|
|Assistant Treasurer ||J David Bowie |
|State Registrar-Genealogist ||Daniel W Kraft |
|Curator ||David Allen Lambert |
|Historian ||Donald Faurot Oakes |
|Chancellor ||Thomas Philip Vincent |
|Assistant Chancellor ||Joseph John Reardon |
|Chaplain ||Brian Richard Marsh |
|Commander, Color Guard ||John Paul Zafiris Jr|
|Marshall ||George Edward Podmore Jr|
|Surgeon ||Joseph L Andrews Jr|
|MASSAR Trust Trustee ||Jay Edgar Bailey |
|MASSAR Trust Trustee ||James Curtis Lundy |
|MASSAR Trust Trustee ||Stephen Benjamin Jeffries |
|National Trustee ||David Eugene Schrader |
|Alternate Trustee ||Garrett Lear |
Some of the duties of the elected officers are:
- The President of a state society fulfills the customary duties of the office and supervises the affairs of the state society.
- The Secretary has charge of the records of the state society, gives notice of all meetings and keeps an accurate written record of the proceedings of meetings. He signs all application papers.
- The Treasurer has custody of the funds of the state society and is responsible for the collection and transmittal of membership dues to the National Society, as specified in the bylaws of the National Society.
- The Registrar examines all applications for membership and approves them, if found acceptable, before submitting them to National Headquarters for final approval and registration. A duplicate copy of each application is retained by the state registrar for the archives of his state society.
- The Chancellor is an attorney-at-law, who gives opinions on legal matters affecting the society when such questions are referred to him by the proper officers.
- The Chaplain, an ordained clergyman, gives the invocation and benediction at state society meetings and ceremonies, and furnishes the membership with spiritual guidance. He conducts any religious service that occurs at state functions.
Board of Managers
The Board of Managers is the governing body of the society. It consists of all the officers above, all living past state presidents, current chapter presidents, and additional members appointed from the membership for three-year rotations. The terms of the additional members are staggered so that the board maintains continuity. Each of these members serves until the Annual Meeting of the year shown.
Past and Current Presidents
|Past State Presidents||Current Chapter Presidents|
|William Edward Battles III|
Michael Ellis Fishbein
Clark Baldwin Loth
John Thomas Manning
Steven Gary Perkins
Richard Roy Stanley
|Brent Joseph Andersen |
William E Battles III
Caleb John Blankenship
Michael Patrick Deignan
Charles Albert Garbarino III
William Thomas Ryerson Sr
David Eugene Schrader
Thomas Philip Vincent
|Harold Richard Coughlin |
Kenneth Paul Doten
J Whitney Halloran
Allan David Van Wert
Stephen Lee Watts
|Henry Minot Curtis II|
Donald Robert Kusser
George Alexander Lewis III
Donald Faurot Oakes
Geoffrey Hellens Zeamer
|William Harry Carlson Jr|
Michael Patrick Deignan
Stephen J Hawko
Paul Douglas O'Rourke
David Russell Robison
Committees of the Society
The committees serve in support of the Board of Managers, either directly for the board or by implementing one of the initiatives of the National Society locally.
- Awards, Memorials, and Markers (National Program)
- Ethics Committee
- Finance Committee
- Meetings Committee
- Membership Committee
- Publication and Printing Committee